Stop & Shop Negotiations Update
**** UPDATE TO ALL UFCW STOP & SHOP MEMBERS ****
April 12, 2019
Yesterday, you all made the difficult choice to walk off the job. As I am sure you have seen, that choice sent a powerful message. It isn’t every day that 31,000 workers walk out of 249 stores across three states all at once.
You have all acted with courage and our communities have responded with support. From customers to neighbors, presidential candidates to basketball legends, people have heard you and they have publicly stated that they stand with you. Today, Senators Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) and Richard Blumenthal (D-CT) both came to picket lines in their states to support you and add pressure to Stop & Shop.
Our communities stand with you because they appreciate your service in the stores. They stand with you because they can see how hard you work. They are connected to you because they understand what it means to work hard to build a better life for yourself and your family.
Despite their claims, Stop & Shop hasn’t returned to the negotiation table. So, we must hold our line. We must continue to stand with each other. We must continue to keep the pressure up and speak out against the unreasonable cuts to health care, retirement benefits, and wages Stop & Shop is greedily demanding. The company says we won’t come to the table to negotiate, but we never left.
Here is what to expect in the next few days.
– Your union reps are making the rounds to all of the stores to support you as you hold your lines
– Your strike captains will have information on schedules and next round of actions
– Continue actively engaging customers, you should have handbills and sign up forms. Let them know why you are protesting Stop & Shop and what we are standing for.
– When you’re on the line, stay visible in front of doors near entrances, stay active and moving so customers know what’s happening.
– Sign the petition and share with your friends, families, customers, and co-workers. Let’s show Stop & Shop that we can mobilize people online as well as on the picket line.
Remember, the company cannot communicate to customers the way that you do. They don’t have your relationships or resilience. They don’t have your dedication or your strength.
Share this petition with as many customers and allies as you can. Let’s continue to grow.