The Greater Southeastern Massachusetts Labor Council Annual Scholarship Program
The Greater Southeastern Massachusetts Labor Council Scholarship is available to high school seniors living in Southeastern Massachusetts, Cape Cod and the Islands whose Parents, Legal Guardian, or Grandparents are members of a labor union affiliated with the Greater Southeastern Massachusetts Labor Council. The student applicant may also be a member of a labor union affiliated to the labor council.
Three (3) $1,000 scholarships will be awarded to three students selected as winners during the competition. The council will make every attempt to award the scholarships evenly by trying to select a winner from each region (Cape & Islands, Greater Fall River and the Greater New Bedford). All scholarships are awarded to those students who most fully meet the selection criteria. The most important element of the selection criteria is the essay followed by the students’ grades.
ALL STUDENTS MUST
A complete application packet is due on February 27, 2015. Any late or incomplete scholarship application packet will be automatically rejected.
All students MUST include ALL five of the following elements in their application packet:
1. Have a Parent, Legal Guardian, Grandparent or the student applicant be a member of a labor union affiliated with the Greater Southeastern Massachusetts Labor Council. NOTE: Please contact The Greater Southeastern Massachusetts Labor Council at 508-992-5475 or at email@example.com if you have any questions or want to verify your union’s membership in The Greater Southeastern Mass Labor Council
2. Be a senior in high school and plan to attend college in the fall.
3. Submit a completed scholarship application form.
4. Submit a high school transcript.
5. Submit a completed essay.
A. Write a 700-word essay describing the history of your family’s involvement in unions. You MUST refer to the following four areas:
1. How and why your family became involved in organized labor.
2. Describe any special moments in which your family benefitted from involvement in a labor union.
3. Describe what you believe to be the value of belonging to a labor union.
4. Explain your understanding of the union movement in America today.
B. Essay must be typed using 12 pt. font. Margins should be no more than 1 inch on all sides.
All lines must be double-spaced.
C. Please return the completed essay and completed application form by February 27, 2015.
D. Failure to submit any of the three required items by the deadline will result in disqualification.
E. All recipients must be present in order to be awarded a scholarship.
F. All scholarship recipients must proof of acceptance to an accredited institution of higher education
Mail completed application and essay to:
The Greater Southeastern Massachusetts Labor Council
556 Pleasant St. New Bedford, MA 02740-6236